White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Black and White Birds


(APRIL 29, 2010) There were more babies on the Riverwalk this morning. The three yellow goslings of the domestic geese were walking about on the sand while a gaggle of adults circled them to protect them. As we got closer to them, the geese put their heads down in a threatening was and came towards us , not charging, but just threatening. We kept our distance.


BLACK AND WHITE BIRDS seemed everywhere. On the long in the middle of the river were the mostly black cormorants, but there were some with white markings as well. I observed the nesting Canada goose on the piling of the bridge that goes over to the train station, and a number of adults swam underneath the pilings awaiting the big day of hatching. In the debris beneath the bridge some white geese were nesting and one white goose had a distinctive black patch on her head making her look like she was wearing a toupee. Near the parking lot at Dan Daniel Park, we watched a Canada goose make a graceful landing in the water below the dam. Graceful like poetry in motion.





About a quarter mile into our walk we saw two swallows hanging out on a tree stump with a wild branch shooting out the top and another one to the right. A swallow was on each with the image of the power tower in the background. At the halfway point we saw two swallows dancing around on the electrical wires on a post in the woods. They were across from the birdhouse they had chosen to raise their family.

At the Angler's Park this late afternoon, we saw a beautiful white egret in the marsh. I didn't take my camera this evening, wanting to just enjoy the evening. We did run into a former boy friend of one of my daughters and chatted for a while. Then our friend from New Jersey pulled up in the parking lot as we were about to go; he was alone, without Louie, his small white dog; Sadie was disappointed.

As we finally got ready to leave, a van pulled up with some special needs adults. One came over to pet Sadie. One of the leaders told her to ask first. I grabbed Sadie around the chest to keep her from jumping, the lady came over to pet her and commented on Sadie's soft fur.

As she was leaving, the leader told the lady to say, "Thank you." She did, and I said, "Sadie says, 'Thank You,' too. She enjoyed the attention."

It was a wonderful day on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment