White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

FOG


(May 10, 2010)

Carl Sandburg wrote:

THE FOG comes
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.

The Riverwalk this morning was transformed into a surreal world as necks and heads of herons seemed to float in the air, the river was cut in half as if the other shore did not exist, and squirrels disappeared into the fluffy nothingness that was early morning fog.

As we walked along, ghostly figures started appearing, walking out of that white curtain ahead of us - all familiar faces with the same greeting, "It sure is cold and foggy this morning." As I raised my camera to take pictures, the high humidity in the air caused the viewfinder to fog up, and images were hard to focus. Even as the fog started to lift, the little wisps of remaining fog would turn a clear shot into a heron whose leg would be missing, a duck whose front end was missing, or a cormorant that seemed to be floating in air rather than sitting on a log in the middle of the river.

Once the sun came up over the trees, the fog "moved on" and the morning became a PURRfectly sunny world.

It was another good day on the Riverwalk.














No comments:

Post a Comment