White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Friday, July 16, 2010

OUT OF FOCUS/IN FOCUS


(JULY 16, 2010) This morning as Elizabeth, Sadie and I entered the dark woods from the parking lot, Elizabeth said, "Look. A deer."

There within 30 yards of us was a single small deer walking by the water. I lifted by camera, aimed and took several shots. ALL WERE OUT OF FOCUS, and the deer climbed the bank and disappeared into the woods.

Disappointed? Yep, kinda. However, there will always be new pictures to take along the Riverwalk like the mockingbird on the fence (out of focus) and the geese on the shore (out of focus). However, even with those few out of focus shots, I still got some good pictures this morning on the Riverwalk.

There were three young sparrows on a tree - very cute little guys looking at me as I was looking at them. There was a dragonfly that flitted from railing to railing on a fence, and trying to take its picture was not helped with a dog on the end of a leash.

We were late enough going out that the sun was up. Along with the birds, when the sun comes up, the butterflies come out. There were a number of butterflies around the flowers and on the fences. Sadie often points them out to me as she goes into her pointing pose. As she points, I get closer and take pictures. The light was nice this morning since I got some good color; some mornings, when the sun is too bright, the colors are faded by the light.

By taking a few hundred pictures every day on the Riverwalk, I end up with some that are pretty good. However, I also end up with a much larger number that are out of focus or just bad shots.

It was another good morning on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment