White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

BRRRRR.....

(MARCH 23, 2010) Spring is in the air. The birds are pairing off, the plants are putting out flowers and new green shoots, and . . . the temperature this morning was in the low 40s (ouch).

Just two days ago I was on the Riverwalk with Sadie, and I was wearing a short sleeved shirt. Today, cap and gloves were the order of the day. There weren't many walkers this morning, though I did see my friend John who was hurriedly trying to catch up with some of his friends. The ducks and geese were doing their usual things, and the same two mallards were near the bridge again where they have been seen for several years (I have taken, perhaps, a thousand shots of this pair, and the "love birds" photos I have are on my web site).

There were some things this morning worth mentioning. I didn't see the limping goose of a few days ago. I did, however, see a Canada goose nesting in the stump of a tree near the river, a Canada goose nesting on the piling of the bridge that goes to the the train station, and a couple of domestic geese nesting on some debris that had gathered below the same bridge. A chickadee flitted among the limbs of trees and the woods seem more crowded with robins and grackles.

ANECDOTE: Yesterday, after one of my classes, I was talking with a student who had come in for the next class. I didn't know the young lady, but we started talking about dogs and the Riverwalk. She mentioned that she goes to the Riverwalk and has noticed that "all of those who walk on the Riverwalk are nice. It seems everyone speaks when they pass." I agreed.

It was another good day on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment