White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Saturday, April 3, 2010

MY LITTLE CHICKADEE!


This morning Sadie and I headed toward Angler's Park from Dan Daniel Park. It is about two miles up to Angler's Park with more trees and not as many views of the river. However, this morning I saw a number of butterflies and other insects. Of course, the eagerness to see if the red-winged blackbird was at Angler's Park was in the back of my mind since I had seen the beautiful bird there in the afternoons when I took Sadie for a second walk. I wasn't disappointed. There was a pair with one in the field and another in the tree singing their "twit-twit" and "brinnnnng, brinnnng" calls. There was also a pair of mallards (male/female) near the shore and another pair (both males) in the marsh dunking for vegetation.

I saw a couple of people I hadn't seen in several months. Sadie enjoyed seeing Jodie (a small male dog) again; the first time they met (about a year ago), Jodie licked Sadie in the ear, which I thought was a bit forward for a first date. We also saw Louie, another small white dog, we had met at Angler's Park earlier last week.

A couple of people we passed asked what kind of dog Sadie is; they found her size interesting for a sporting dog (she is rather small - about 45 lbs.). A couple of bikers passed, heading in the same direction we were going; I heard on of the bikers ask the other, "Is that a springer spaniel?" and the other biker said, "No, I think that is either a Brittany or an English setter." There were several people we passed up asked how Sadie was doing, and I don't know who the people are; Sadie seems to have some fans on the Riverwalk.

There were few birds to be spotted because of the new foliage; however, I did get some shots of some chickadees flittering in the lower trees and some robins. Of course, there were the wonderful red-winged blackbirds at Angler's Park which made the journey worthwhile.

The butterflies and bees are out - I've had to teach Sadie the difference since I didn't want her to sniff a bee and come home with a swollen nose. The park is in its beauty.

It was another wonderful morning on the Riverwalk.

1 comment:

  1. Love the chickadee photo - the new foliage makes for a softer backdrop - the early sky blues are magnificent but as spring deepens the vibrancy of of the green hues are wondrous.
    A hawk came to visit our backyard at cocktail hour this evening - we think he was counting the fish in the pond.

    ReplyDelete