White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Thursday, March 18, 2010

INJURED GOOSE, FIGHTING MALLARDS, AND CHICKADEES


(March 18, 2010) I got two walks on the Riverwalk today. This morning Sadie and I walked 4 miles and I took a ton of pictures. We spotted a fisherman on the banks who spotted us and commented on the spots on my spotted dog. The usual gaggle of geese were present as we walked past the large fields. We did see some sparrows, bluebirds, mockingbirds, and cardinals plus ducks and geese on the shore and in the water.

The Canada goose is back building her nest on the bridge ledge about 30 feet above the river. She has done this for the past few years and walkers have commented about their concern on how the young goslings will reach the water - I assume they will drop out of the nest and start swimming; otherwise, she would have lost her entire brood for the past few years, but here she is, back again.

One lady on the trail spoke and petted Sadie. She mentioned that there was a lame goose ahead that had a "swollen foot." When we approached the domestic geese that had gathered near the bridge going over to the train station, the geese made a march to the river - except for one. This poor fellow hobbled on one leg with the lame leg being raised.

We saw a group of 4 white geese swimming near the same bridge. They were lovely sights in the greenish water. There were more swallows in the air as we approached the woods near Dan Daniel Park. They were doing their dance in the sky, flittering about, making large circles. They should soon be nesting in some of the bluebird houses along the Riverwalk.

We saw our little friend the mockingbird in its usual bush ready to pose for the camera. I must have 3000 shots of this little guy since I feel guilty if I don't take at least a dozen shots of him when I pass.

In the afternoon we went back to the Riverwalk but went to Angler's Park this time. We saw the mallards on the marsh and a red-winged blackbird singing its musical tone. It was hanging out in a tree for awhile and then landed on the soccer field to graze.

The male mallards were being a bit "testy" with each other since it is mating season. I saw a male and female mallard being imposed upon by a sojourner. The male put his head down and charged the other male that swam away and went to another couple. The male chased this sojourner away and eventually made the bird fly as the male and female couple chased after it. The couple soon returned to the marsh - so did the sojourner that took up a spot in the thick marshy area.

At the end of the soccer field we heard an almost crying sound. I looked up in a tree and couldn't see anything. Another walker was passing by and said that the squirrel had been making the sound ever since his last pass some 15 minutes earlier. I looked up and saw the squirrel hugging the limb. I don't know what he/she was fussing about, but after Sadie watched it for a few minutes, we moved on.

It was another great day on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment