White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

MOCKINGBIRD


(JUNE 2, 2010) It was a foggy morning on the Riverwalk. The other shore was not visible and birds seemed to fly into an abyss as they flew from one shore to the other. The birds on the wire were eerie as they sat there against the foggy background and gray sky.

As the sun broke, the fog lifted, and the shore across the way became visible. The cormorants and turtles were sighted on the return trip after being a dim vision on a log in the river fog on the trip up the river. An interesting pattern of spider webs adorned the trees in the two fields beyond Dan Daniel Park. The intricacies of the spider artist at work proved too tempting not to photograph against the foggy backdrop.

The birds were out as the geese herded their goslings toward the river as Sadie and I approached, and the mallard pair that often hang out near the public works department had re-located this morning towards Dan Daniel Park. Some interesting birds hid themselves in the green foliage and chirped as we passed.

But the most unique experience we had on the trip up and back was our encounter with a mockingbird. These birds often pose for me, and this morning seemed to be the same. However, one bird had a green worm in its beak as we walked west on the Riverwalk. He flew aggressively toward us, squawking at us as he came nearer and nearer - finally within a yard or so. He perched on a fence post and let his disdain come through in his angry eyes and impolite temperament.

On the way back, the same bird, this time with berries in his beak, came at us again. I kept shooting pictures as Sadie, the "bird dog," cowered behind me. The bird kept squawking, and I kept shooting, and Sadie kept cowering.

Sadie had had a close encounter with a mockingbird about a year ago, and I think the memory of that traumatic moment was brought forth in this double dose of irate bird bantering. We moved on, and the bird flew away to a nest, I assume, that was close by.

It was another good morning on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment