White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spring is at the Riverwalk



(MARCH 14, 2010) Daylight Savings Time and the birds on the Riverwalk did not adjust their watches. They were doing their usual routines an hour later, so when I got myself out of bed an hour later and ventured forth, the birds were doing what they had been doing the day before, but an hour earlier.

The water had risen with all the rain we have had over the past two days. On the trip back, Sadie was near the water, but when the river lapped at the shore, Sadie jumped and continued to do so each time she got near enough to the river to see the water coming at her close up.

About a mile into our walk, we heard the birds chirping in the woods where the bluebirds, sparrows and mockingbirds hang out. There was one bird chirping louder than the others, and I noticed that one of the churches was playing music. To the tune of "Onward Christian Soliders" the small bird had picked up the tune and was chirping in beat. When the church music ended, so did the chirping of the bird.

I saw my first lily of the year and took some pictures. Also, a mallard couple had found an ephemeral pond created by the rain and were happily swimming calmly near the woods. I also spotted another mallard couple that had been the subject of many of my duck portraits last year. They were posing for me again.

WHAT DID I LEARN TODAY ON THE RIVERWALK? I learned that birds have rhythm, spring is near, and that ducks don't need a big river to swim in.

No comments:

Post a Comment