White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

IN COMING!!!!

(March 16, 2010) - This morning on the Riverwalk, all was quiet except for the birds - few people were out on this beautiful morning (temp about 55 degrees). Along with Sadie, Elizabeth, my wife, went with us. That gave me the luxury of taking pictures while she held the dog.

As we walked along, I thought of the different experiences we have had over the years on the Riverwalk. There was the spot in the woods where the two young raccoons played, the two areas where the ground hog hangs out, and the spot in the river where the beautiful herons wade, when the river is lower, to catch a passing fish. I thought about yesterday as we walked near the river. Sadie was frightened by the water lapping over the banks. As the water came near, in a minor wave, Sadie jumped and ran behind me; when she was younger, she would bark at the high water.

This morning there were a number of smaller birds in the trees (sparrows, mockingbirds, and bluebirds), but the ducks from the day before had left their temporary pond as the water left making their pond a mere puddle.

A piece of writing came across my desk yesterday afternoon, given to me by a kind colleague. It was an article called "TIMELESSNESS" by Sigurd F. Olson. It begins: "Our lives seem governed by speed, tension and hurry." I thought about this during my morning, leisurely, walk on the Riverwalk today. The Riverwalk is a place where speed, tension and hurry are left to the runners, but to those of us who stop to enjoy the beauty of nature, the Riverwalk is a place where we can breathe in the beauty of the moment.

It was another great morning on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment