White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Monday, April 19, 2010

SANDPIPERS


(APRIL 19, 2010) A visual treat was made available to those of us at Angler's Park the last few days. Among the mallards and the Canada geese in the marsh were three sandpipers, selecting this tantalizing small body of water for a short respite.

At the beach we watch the sandpipers play tag with the waves; at Angler's Park, they just stand in the water and bob for plant life. A bird fancier was watching the waders yesterday evening and displayed a knowledge of the birds that made me realize how little I know. She was determining the specific type of sandpiper as she looked through her birder's book. She actually pointed out the sandpipers to me; I would have likely just assumed they were the killdeer that often find a place to feed out there.

Though I learn more and more about the plants and animals each day I'm at the Riverwalk, I've a long ways to go to come even close to those who study the feathered friends that make the Riverwalk their permanent or temporary home.

The male red-winged blackbirds were displaying their beauty this evening as well. The males were perched in the tops of trees and singing their interesting call. Though they don't have cell phones or computers, they have a most interesting way of hooking up by tweeting.

I was lucky to have a nice walk in the cool of the morning and a second one this evening. It was a perfect day on the Riverwalk - sunny, breezy and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment