White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sadie is writing again


David did not accompany me on our walk today, so I have to write his blog again. Elizabeth was with me. We only walked two miles because Elizabeth is recovering from a case of sciatica, and she is such a baby about this. I have never heard a human moan and groan as much as she has over the past few days. Oh well. We still had a great walk. The rooster at the Danville Humane Society was loud this morning: "cock a doodle doo!" This rooster must be driving the dogs and cats that are housed there out of their minds, crowing like this every morning.
This morning, the river was still quite high from all of the rain that we have had. There were puddles everywhere, and populated by a lot of mallards. As usual, I wanted to flush them out. I saw a pair (a duck and a drake). Then I saw two drakes running after a duck; the duck was hissing at them to leave her alone! I am glad that I am spayed and don't have to worry about dealing with a pack of male dogs running after me, but that is another story. Later, as we were approaching the footbridge, Elizabeth and I were swooped by two mockingbirds. They were like buzz bombers from World War II! I guess we must have been too close to a nest.
The grass is really getting greener now and the trees are blooming. I thought that I saw cherry blossoms blooming, but Elizabeth says they are probably crab apple trees. Maybe someone knows the identity of these pretty pink trees.
We saw lots of friends this morning-- John, Beverly and her friends, and Liselotte (also known as LiLo). I was so glad to see Liselotte's dog Lucky. I yapped at him in German "Wie geht's, Lucky?"
Oh well, I have probably written enough. David will be back tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sadie. Yapping in German. Who do you think you are a German Shepherd? Not a bad blog for a dog. In fact some of my friends say that you write better than I do - I told them that I taught everything you know. You make me proud, girl. David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadie, tell you mom her cousin Steve had sciatica last week and couldn't move for three days. Ouch!
    Watch out for those diving Mockingbirds:)

    ReplyDelete