White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Thursday, March 25, 2010

SADIE

(MARCH 25, 2010) The air was cool, but pleasant as we walked the Riverwalk this morning. It was sunny, yet the number of birds out were not plentiful as I think they were waiting for the air to warm up a bit.

As for Sadie, this morning she seemed a little out of sorts as we (including Elizabeth, my wife) walked the first half of our three mile (today only 2.5 miles) daily adventure. She would stop about every 20 yards and STEEEEEETCH. Then she would start chewing on her leash. Needless to say, it took us a bit longer to finish our morning walk. On the way back, however, she was her own, charming self, pointing at birds, squirrels and anything else that moved. She even flushed out a duck out of some side vegetation (actually, she didn't really "flush" it out; it was on the trail and decided to fly away as we approached, but Sadie likes the word "flushed," so I'm putting that in there, in case she reads this). I will likely take her to Angler's Park this afternoon for another short walk. We were there yesterday and saw a red-winged blackbird and mallards (there are several pairs nesting there and a sojourner male who wreaks havoc among the paired mallards). See the picture to the right of the female mallard who had had too much of the two males and just flew away.

This morning we saw a number of nesting birds (geese), and I have posted a picture to the side of the Canada goose that is nesting in debris on top of a stump from a fallen tree and a white goose nesting in some flood debris gathered at the bridge taking walkers back to the train station.

I didn't see the injured goose this morning. We did see some of our regular walking friends, and Sadie saw her Pekingese friend Lucky. That always makes her day.

Life is moving on at the Riverwalk. Spring is in the air, the flowers are budding, the trees are budding and that birds are mating. What a wonderful time of year.

It was another wonderful morning on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment