White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Monday, March 29, 2010

SOUNDS

This morning the air was cool and damp when Sadie and I got to the Riverwalk around 7:30. The rains the night before left large puddles serving as small ponds for the mallards and geese.

The first thing I noticed, as we left the parking lot, was the sound of the gorged river that had risen greatly the night before but had not overtaken the Riverwalk at Dan Daniel Park. The sound was not a rumbling sound but the sound a cat makes when comforted - kind of a purring noise. However, as we approached the dam, we did experience the roaring sound of the raging river that had overtaken the walkway leading down to the river.

The woods below the park were filled with the various octaves of birds and frogs with high pitched birds and high and low voices of the frogs that sang in the cool waters. Voices of humans were not present - just the cacophony of the sounds of nature.

Approaching the 3/4 mile mark from Dan Daniel Park, Sadie was startled by the flapping of a Canada goose and an alarming "HONK." The goose was was on the other side of the wooden railing but near enough to Sadie to throw caution to the wind and fly the short distance to the River.

The mockingbirds put forth their plagiarized songs as we walked toward the train station, but on the way back, a mockingbird was no more than 10 feet above me, singing the beautiful song of a wren. This was enough to cause Sadie to pause and take notice of this bird with wonderful pitch. Sadie stood there, very still, with her neck stretched upwards towards the bird and remained that way, enjoying the music for more than two minutes before losing interest.

Near the bridge at the rest rooms, we heard the frantic flapping of wings and looked over the bridge railing and saw two cormorants running on water as they got the propulsion to lift off into the sky, flying as lovely as the ducks and geese high up in the air. The log in the middle of the river where the cormorants gathered each morning was not filled with the standard grunting heard often in that area, but there were only a few cormorants in the trees across the river since the large tree had been submerged from the flooding.

Approaching the parking lot we stopped momentarily to hear the purring of the river, not knowing if the water will spill over the banks later in the day keeping us from walking the next morning.

On several occasions I closed my eyes and just listened. It was a beautiful day for sounds on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment