White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Friday, July 9, 2010

CHESAPEAKE BAY BIRDS




(JULY 10, 2010) Having returned from a wedding (my daughter, Tiffany's) in Pennsylvania, a time for Elizabeth to remember as we returned to her hometown in northern Virginia, a time for me to remember as we went by the cemetery where my parents are buried in Maryland and then by their home on Cobb Island, Md., and finally to the "Northern Neck" of Virginia on the Chesapeake Bay, I realized that I had bought back over 2500 photos taken along the way. Therefore, during the past two days on the Riverwalk, I have not taken my camera so I can catch up on the numerous pictures taken during the weekend and the first part of this week.

However, I did walk with Sadie yesterday morning and this morning. We had been missed by the regular walkers. Our short walk was lengthened by several stopping and wanting to hear about the wedding. One group of women and a man asked how it felt to have a new son-in-law.

I said, "Well, actually, I have another son-in-law in Chicago. So I have a son-in-law who was raised in Venezuela and is now an American citizen and another son-in-law from Sweden. The only single 'daughter' I have now is Sadie, so I reckon she will marry a German Shepherd." They chuckled and walked on.

The weather was humid this morning after last night's short rain, but the temperatures were bearable at 6:30 this morning. However, as we finished our walk at around 8:00, the temperatures were beginning to rise again.

Even the birds seemed to feel the heat as they were few and quiet. Hence, my pictures of the bay birds above. The pelicans were interesting to watch as they just crashed into the water as their way of landing. The osprey, on its nest, was interesting to watch and the closest I have been to one nesting. There are two osprey nests that can be viewed on the Riverwalk, but the distance and height make it nearly impossible to see them up close. The sandpiper, with its bright orange bill, was playing in a marshy area on Tangier Island. I did see an egret and some cormorants, so I felt that I was home.

Interesting birds, and it is sometimes good to get away from the birds on the Riverwalk; but it is always good to get back, too.

It was another good morning on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment