White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Red-Winged Blackbirds



There was the distinct sound of a cell phone going off out in the middle of nowhere. Above the loud chirping sound of the frogs was the sound of a "rrrring-rrrrring." I looked up in a nearby tree and saw two black birds singing to each other in their 1950s ring tone. Even with a dog not too far below them, they didn't shy away from their interesting interpretation of a man-made modern invention. Later that evening as I was looking at the pictures, I realized that the birds were red-winged blackbirds. I had heard some friends mention that they had seen them hanging out at Angler's Park, but I had yet to see or hear them.

I didn't get my morning walk today, so Sadie and I went to the park for a 2 mile walk. Usually at Angler's Park there are some ducks in the marsh, and that's about it. Today, however, we were fortunate to see the red-winged blackbirds, a plover wading in the marsh, and some wonderful demonstrations of ducks landing and swimming about in the marshes. We also stopped to watch a team of youth soccer players go through their paces as they prepared for the up-coming soccer season. The weather was very comfortable (in the 50s). Tomorrow is going to be just as nice.

It was another good day on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment