White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Sunday, June 13, 2010

ELVIS SINGS HYMNS OF INSPIRATION

TO ENLARGE IMAGE, CLICK ON PHOTOGRAPH

(JUNE 13, 2010) This beautiful Sunday morning on the Riverwalk, a lady rode by on her bike and spoke. I had talked with this lady a few weeks ago, and she told me that she listened to the hymns and gospel music of Elvis as she biked along the Riverwalk. She has four of his CDs and enjoys the music as she rides past nature.

What exactly did Elvis have to say about nature? Is his music relevant to what I see daily on the Riverwalk? I thought about this this morning and tried to think of Elvis songs as I saw nature doing what nature does. I saw a mallard couple which made me think of a few songs. The first ones that come to mind are the obvious ones: LOVE ME TENDER and I CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE WITH YOU. However, a few months ago I saw a mallard couple sitting on a hillside. Another mallard drake walked by, the female was distracted and went off with that sojourner. Is that HEARTBREAK HOTEL or SUSPICIOUS MINDS?

As we ventured forth toward Angler's Park, Sadie pulled me to the side of the trail. There was a box turtle with its magnificent black and orange design. Sadie was curious. I kept her back because I feared that the turtle would be ALL SHOOK UP. But, Sadie being the HOUND DOG she is, was impatient and wanted a closer look. I continued to hold her back, and she gave me that DON'T BE CRUEL look. The turtle continued to be TROUBLEd by the invasion into its space, but I assured the turtle THAT'S ALL RIGHT, and we walked on, though Sadie wanted a closer look. I encouraged her to move on by saying "C'mon Baby," in an Elvis accent, and I assured her, "YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE."

At Angler's Park I saw a swallow delivering some food to the young swallows in the house. As the bird flew towards the house, I took pictures. The dedication of the birds to feed the off-spring shows the mates have a BURNING LOVE, and that they have the innate inward thought that says, "Survival of the species is ALWAYS ON MY MIND."

At Angler's Park my camera battery died, so I couldn't take any more pictures on the return trip. It was a pleasant return, and I stopped thinking about Elvis and just enjoyed the beauty and sounds of nature. If you have gotten this far in the essay, I want to say (in my best Elvis imitation): "Thank ya' Thank ya' very much."

It was another good day on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment