White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Monday, March 15, 2010

Ducks and Geese

Though the clock said 7:30, my body was saying 6:30 this morning when I headed to the Riverwalk. The birds hadn't reset the clocks, so they were still living in a Standard Time world.

The two mallards were swimming in the temporary pond near the parking lot, and today they had company - two Canada geese. The trail comes near the "pond," so Sadie and I took a circular route into the woods to avoid frightening the geese (the ducks are used to us, by now). We were successful on our way out, but when we came back, the geese were startled by the four legged "beast" and flew up over our heads. This sent the adrenaline rushing and Sadie, true to her English setter, bird dog breeding, jumped up on her hind legs with the excitement of a child seeing Santa at the mall.

There weren't many people walking the trail this morning (did they not reset their clocks?), but the weather was perfect (50 degrees). As the sun rose, it turned the tops of the tree golden, awakening small birds that had roosted there for the night. We saw a few sparrows, blue birds, and crows; at the car, we saw a number of slate-colored juncos.

The weather was so nice that Sadie and I walked another 3 miles on the Riverwalk this afternoon. We walked near a marsh area where there were mallards swimming about. I snapped away and took a number of pictures of these wonderful ducks. A question that came to me was "How many different types of photos can one take of mallards?" The answer is "an infinite number of types" since they are so photogenic and are beautiful as they sit upon the water, whether a marsh, the river, or a temporary pond created by heavy rains.

It was another good day on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment