White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk

White Deer Twins on the Riverwalk
These rare white deer twins were born this summer and have found a safe home at Dan Daniel Park and on the Riverwalk
CLICK the large photo above to go to my web site.
CLICK the image of the DAILY photos to enlarge the pictures.
CLICK the photos to the right to go to the blog for that particular day.
My name is David Hoffman. I teach English and journalism at Averett University, but I have two side interests - writing and photography. I also enjoy walking daily with my English setter, Sadie, and my wife, Elizabeth, on the Danville, Virginia, Riverwalk. As a novice to studying nature, I am fascinated by the slightest facets of the great outdoors, but most of my pictures are of birds - I don't know a lot about them, but I am learning more and enjoying taking pictures of them daily. I also take pictures of plants, other animals, and insects. All pictures posted for each day were taken on the day of my blog entry.

Leave a comment if you have the time or e-mail me at dhoffman@averett.edu


CHECK OUT TIFFANY AND PATRIK'S WEDDING PICTURES (click picture below)

Friday, March 19, 2010

SHORT SLEEVE WEATHER


(March 19, 2010) The temperature was in the 70s this afternoon as Sadie and I went to Angler's Park to walk and take pictures. Surprisingly, there weren't that many people on the trail today, the last day of winter that went out with a burst of Spring like weather, but there were a number of motorcycles making a loud noise as they kept riding up and down the curves of the road leading down to Angler's Park. It made me long for the quiet, solitude of the colder winter days when the silence at Angler's Park was nearly deafening.

On the marsh were some mallard couples and a killdeer couple. The mallards were, again, fending off a sojourner male that was determined to break up the couple. Another couple had bedded down in the thick growth near the bank, and another had enjoyed the warm day in the middle of the marsh.

The two killdeer, like small songbirds on stilts, inched along the marsh picking up insects on the water. I saw a couple of red-winged blackbirds again, but they had moved from the tops of a nearby tree to the middle of the soccer field.

Several people admired Sadie. One man, with his wife and daughter, stopped and asked, jokingly, "Is that a bird dog or a squirrel dog?" I said, "She's a bird dog that thinks she's a squirrel dog" as she pointed at a squirrel in a nearby tree. I also commented that, actually, she is more of a "butterfly dog" since that is what she tends to point at most. Sadie is about 45 lbs, and the man mentioned that he had two hunting dogs that each weighed about 85 lbs. The 45 lb. Sadie is enough of a handful; I can't imagine trying to take pictures with a dog twice Sadie's size on the end of a leash.

We didn't make it to the Riverwalk this morning, but the lovely afternoon walk was surely worth waiting for.

It was another beautiful, but noisy, day on the Riverwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment